Toyota Yaris 2011 and Honda Jazz 2005: Engine longevity
- Honda Jazz
- Toyota Yaris
- Honda Jazz 2005
- Toyota Yaris 2011
- Honda Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Honda Jazz Reviews
- Toyota Yaris Reviews
- Honda Hatchback Range
- Toyota Hatchback Range
Asked by Narasimha
Answered by CarsGuide15 Feb 2020
A few factors determine engine longevity, so let’s start with the first of those, the basic materials and design of the engine in question. Both the Toyota and Honda have advanced small-capacity engines that are made from quality materials. So that’s in their favour.
The second factor is servicing. A lack of regular maintenance including fresh oil and filters will kill engines fast, so that’s crucial. And finally, how they are driven will also play a part. An engine that only does long distances in the country will always last longer than one that is subjected to frequent cold starts and stop-start traffic. An engine that is regularly revved to redline between the gears will also potentially die younger than one that is driven sensibly and with a bit of mechanical sympathy.
The bottom line? There’s no short answer. But I have seen small-capacity Honda and Toyota engines clock up 250,000km and more with correct maintenance. Things have certainly changed from the 1950s when the average car engine needed a rebuilt every 100,000km and what was called a de-coke and valve-grind every 30,000km. Ask your grandfather about it.
Other Toyota Yaris problems
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- What cars with high seats and a big boot do you recommend?
- Toyota Yaris: Is it suitable for off-road driving?
- Toyota Yaris 2006: Doors will not open
- Toyota Yaris 2008: Why aren't my brake lights working?
- What is the cheapest Toyota?
- Toyota Yaris: Key replacement
- Which small hatch should I buy for $15,000?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers