BMW X5 diesel problems
- BMW X Models
- BMW X5
- BMW X Models 2007
- BMW X5 2007
- BMW Advice
- BMW X Models Reviews
- BMW X5 Reviews
- BMW SUV Range
- Prestige & Luxury Cars
Asked by Roberto
Are there any obvious BMW X5 e70 diesel problems? I am looking to buy an X5 but would like to know if they are considered to be a reliable car?
Answered by CarsGuide10 Mar 2021
Despite the price and BMW’s reputation, this series of X5 was not without its problems. Specific to the diesel-engined versions was a raft of things to watch out for when shopping for a second-hand X5. Those start with a poorly designed intake system which used small flaps in each inlet trat designed to create better air and fuel mixing and, therefore, more complete burning of the fuel. The problem was that these little flaps were secured by two screws each, and these could become loose and fall into the engine with catastrophic results. In some cases, the screws could even migrate into the turbocharger unit, destroying it.
Like many other brands of modern turbo-diesel, the X5 could also be afflicted by problems caused by a blocked Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). If the vehicle was used for urban work rather than highway running, the DPF could become clogged and unable to regenerate itself. Any X5 diesel with a `Service Engine Soon’ light illuminated on the dashboard is a potential problem child.
The car’s exhaust gas recirculation valve could also leak, causing faults within the emissions-control system, while the electronics associated with the fuel injectors could also be damaged by water entering the engine compartment.
Beyond the diesel engine, the rest of the X5 package was not without problems, either. Those can include electronic issues, poor water sealing around the body, noisy suspension and problems with petrol-engined variants as well. Fundamentally, this was not BMW’s finest hour quality-wise. It’s also worth noting that even though the BMW brand is a German one, this generation of X5s was manufactured in South Carolina in the USA.
Other BMW X5 problems
- Would swapping 20-inch wheels for 18-inch wheels affect the handling and safety of my BMW X5?
- BMW X5: Replacement key cost
- Land Rover Discovery 3 and BMW X5 2009: Maintenance costs
- BMW X5 2003: What is the market value?
- What would be the better SUV between the Volkswagen Touareg, BMW X5 and Toyota Prado?
- I think my dealership lied
- Reliable 7-seat SUVs for a family on a budget
- Best used 7-seat SUV under $30k
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Cars that start with E
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to BMW
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Cars that start with E
Who invented the first car and when was it made?