Ask Smithy Xtra T5 auto issues
- Volkswagen Transporter
- Volkswagen Transporter 2010
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Transporter Reviews
- Volkswagen Commercial Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Peter Baker
You recently had a report about a VW T5 auto being burnt and the dealer saying the ?box needed to be replaced, well, I too have had the same problem. My dealer wanted $10,000 plus labour and GST to replace my gearbox with a reconditioned one. I had extended warranty and they wanted me to remove the ?box, send it to Melbourne from Brisbane, pay to have it assessed, then repaired and sent back to be reinstalled. They had predetermined that they weren?t liable for the ?box. I chose to have a local repairer do the work at a cost of $10,200, and sent a letter to my extended warranty company explaining there were two failed parts. I did get 40 per cent of the cost back. It might be too late for others, but anybody with a T5 auto should get an independent evaluation of their gearbox before the warranty expires. But be warned, VW will notice any signs of work on the box and will not cover it under warranty, so inform them prior so they can give you options.
Answered by CarsGuide13 Jul 2010
You didn’t tell us how many kays your T5 had done prior to the rebuild, but because you used the extended warranty I can assume the factory warranty had expired. VW, like all carmakers, will refuse to cover any car that has been worked on outside the dealer network, which is understandable given they have no control over the quality of that work or the competence of the person doing it. It’s perhaps also worth considering having the auto serviced once it’s clocked up 100,000 km-plus; a change of oil can work wonders for the life of an auto trans.
Other Volkswagen Transporter problems
- Which big family cars do you recommend?
- No help from VW
- VW Transporter stops and stalls
- Ask Smithy Xtra VW Transporter to LPG
- VW Transporter cutting out
- VW Transporter can't handle weight
- Dipstick on diesel
- Delayed gears on VW Transporter
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 6 Compact Camper Trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 6 Compact Camper Trailers