- Land Rover Discovery
- Land Rover Discovery 1999
- Land Rover Advice
- Land Rover Discovery Reviews
- Land Rover SUV Range
- Land Rover
- Family Cars
Asked by James Dawson
ABOUT eight months ago I bought a 1999 Land Rover Discovery. It was in good condition, was well presented and had only 120,000km on the odometer, which is low for a 1999 model. I bought it from a major dealer who assured me the reading was genuine, but when I gave the car a major internal clean I discovered that the instrument cluster was loose. On investigation I found the screws holding the cover in place were missing, so I now suspect the odometer may have been tampered with. I have not done any further investigation. The only way to check the instruments is by dismantling. If I touch it I will lose any proof. How should I proceed?
Answered by CarsGuide16 Jun 2005
YOUR mileage is about average for a 1999 model car rather than low, so I wouldn't be too concerned that it's been tampered with. If you are concerned you should be able to get a guide as to the way the odometer has been climbing by looking at the dates and odometer readings of past services. By law the dealer is required to keep a record of the odometer reading when the vehicle came into his possession. You could also ask for the details of the previous owner and check with them.
Other Land Rover Discovery problems
- What car should I get to tow a 22-foot caravan around Australia?
- Land Rover Discovery 5 - Why do they just call it Discovery?
- Land Rover Discovery 1 - Is the first Discovery becoming a classic?
- Should I sell my 2005 Land Rover Discovery?
- Land Rover Discovery 2017: Need replacing due to major problems
- Land Rover Discovery 2016: Buying tips
- Land Rover Discovery 2018: Leaking sunroof
- Is the Land Rover Discovery known for problems?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
- The future of electric cars: When will...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Land Rover
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
The future of electric cars: When will electric cars take over in Australia?
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000