Land Rover Discovery 2017: Need replacing due to major problems
- Land Rover Discovery
- Land Rover Discovery 2017
- Land Rover Advice
- Land Rover Discovery Reviews
- Land Rover SUV Range
- Land Rover
- Family Cars
- Car Servicing
Asked by Justin
My 2017 Land Rover Discovery is 18 months old and has less than 28,000 km. So far the car has had four major oil leaks (rear timing plug loose, rear main seal leaking, front timing cover leaking, oil filler extension leaking), the auto transmission case is porous and leaking oil, the transmission needs replacing as per dealer’s report, but now JLR Australia are saying their engineers think it can be fixed instead of being replaced, the fan belt was not fitted correctly from factory and shredded so that all the pulleys need replacing, the windscreen is leaking water, and three different door seals need replacing. These are major issues on top of a pile of minor issues with the car. Any advice on what you think we can do would be much appreciated. We think the car should be replaced and so did the dealer, but JLR Australia said no.
Answered by CarsGuide5 Jul 2019
Document the problems with the car and any work that has been done on it since you’ve owned it and take them to JLR with a request that they advise you on what work they plan to do to fix the problems. If that doesn’t get a satisfactory response then go to your state consumer affairs office, or perhaps lodge a complaint with VCAT.
Other Land Rover Discovery problems
- Should I sell my 2005 Land Rover Discovery?
- Land Rover Discovery 2016: Buying tips
- Land Rover Discovery 2018: Leaking sunroof
- Is the Land Rover Discovery known for problems?
- Best used 7-seat SUV under $30k
- Best vehicle for towing a horse float?
- Toyota LandCruiser: replacement for a 100 series
- Things to look for on a Discovery 3
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Grey nomad vehicles: five best options to...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Land Rover
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Grey nomad vehicles: five best options to travel Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers