Should I sell my 2005 Land Rover Discovery?
- Land Rover Discovery
- Land Rover Discovery 2005
- Land Rover Advice
- Land Rover Discovery Reviews
- Land Rover SUV Range
- Land Rover
- Family Cars
Asked by Karen
I've had my 2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 since new, and have done 470, 000km. It has had a replacement motor put in at 400,000km and is doing fine. As time goes on, other parts are wearing out and need replacing. Is it worth continuing to replace parts or would I be better selling and getting a more recent, slightly smaller vehicle? I know it's not worth much given the kilometres, that's not the issue; it's the servicing costs. Are Land Rovers more expensive to service than other 4WDs?
Answered by CarsGuide4 Jul 2020
Land Rovers of this era seem to have a few more reliability problems than other off-road vehicles from other makers. That said, they’re more complicated to start with, so that explains some of that phenomenon.
As you’ve correctly identified, Karen, a vehicle’s ability to keep on keeping on is down to far more factors than simply the age of the engine. These are big, heavy, complex machines and they suffer wear in many areas including the driveline, suspension, brakes and general body condition.
Parts for things like air suspension can be expensive, but it’s worth keeping in mind that no off-road four-wheel-drive is cheap to maintain. It comes down to how much you like the car and whether you can justify the on-costs. If you do decide to keep the old girl, finding a specialist Land Rover workshop can often save you money as these businesses specialise in the brand and know all the common problems and the servicing tricks to keep your spend down.
Other Land Rover Discovery problems
- Land Rover Discovery 2017: Need replacing due to major problems
- Land Rover Discovery 2016: Buying tips
- Land Rover Discovery 2018: Leaking sunroof
- Is the Land Rover Discovery known for problems?
- Best used 7-seat SUV under $30k
- Best vehicle for towing a horse float?
- Toyota LandCruiser: replacement for a 100 series
- Things to look for on a Discovery 3
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Land Rover
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers