Service charges for a Discovery
- Land Rover Discovery
- Land Rover Discovery 2005
- Land Rover Advice
- Land Rover Discovery Reviews
- Land Rover SUV Range
- Land Rover
- Car Servicing
Asked by Gary F Stephens
I was quoted $420 for the 75,000 km service on my 2005 Land Rover Discovery, but after they inspected it I was told the ball joints required replacing and would cost $1440, the brakes needed doing and would cost $681, fixing the high note horn would cost $127, and to fix a squeak under the dash another $240, a total of $2448. I said, just do the service. I can understand brakes need servicing, but not the other items. When I picked it up I was over billed $640. The car is due to be replaced with another Discovery, but this has left a sour taste with the thought of ball joints going so early and a Toyota is sounding good.
Answered by CarsGuide25 Nov 2010
It's hard for dealers to predict what they might find during a service inspection, so it's always a possibility that the cost could blow out. They did phone and give you the option of repair or not, and you obviously chose not to do the repairs. That they didn't protest when you drove away suggests the ball joint wear wasn't of major concern, but if indeed they were worn out at such a low odometer it would be. I would seek a second opinion on the things the dealer said needed repairing.
Other Land Rover Discovery problems
- What car should I get to tow a 22-foot caravan around Australia?
- Land Rover Discovery 5 - Why do they just call it Discovery?
- Land Rover Discovery 1 - Is the first Discovery becoming a classic?
- Should I sell my 2005 Land Rover Discovery?
- Land Rover Discovery 2017: Need replacing due to major problems
- Land Rover Discovery 2016: Buying tips
- Land Rover Discovery 2018: Leaking sunroof
- Is the Land Rover Discovery known for problems?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Land Rover
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Cheapest electric car in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia