Volkswagen Golf 2010: Piston crack
- Volkswagen Golf
- Volkswagen Golf 2010
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Golf Reviews
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Rob Thompson
My daughter purchased a 2010 VW Golf 118TSI in mid-2015 with about 45,000km on it. It was a one owner and had been serviced by a VW dealer from new. First, the DSG clutch had to be replaced at about 48,000km, which was funded by VW, but now at 51,000km she has been told that piston 4 has cracked and the bill will be $6700 to rebuild the motor. The dealer has advised that VW will not provide any support for this repair, which seems to be contrary to the Australian statutory warranty laws. Are you able to provide any suggestions as to what action we can take to seek VW support on this issue?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Jan 2016
I would be going directly to VW with the piston problem. It is a known one with that engine and in my view should be covered, at least in part by VW. The statutory laws that apply to new goods don't apply to secondhand ones, so it's going to be hard to make a case on the back of those laws. I would be pressing VW hard, looking to get a goodwill deal.
Other Volkswagen Golf problems
- When it comes to oil changes in my VW Golf can you tell me the right type and give me a steer on the procedure?
- Should I buy a 2020 Volkswagen Polo?
- My 2009 Volkswagen Golf is becoming expensive to repair, should I sell it?
- What small all-wheel drive hatchback should I buy?
- Volkswagen Golf 2013: A reliable replacement car
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- Volkswagen Golf 2016 or Hyundai i30 2018: Are they reliable?
- Volkswagen Golf 2019: Should I buy an Alltrack?
Most viewed in Advice
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking...
- Everything you need to know to pass your...
- 14 best cars for towing a trailer
- Capped price servicing explained
- Cars that start with I
- Top 11 celebrity car collections
- VW Golf R: 0-100km/h
- What demerit points count if you get booked...
- How much does an electric car actually cost?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking affordable vehicles
Everything you need to know to pass your driving test (update)
14 best cars for towing a trailer
Capped price servicing explained
Cars that start with I
Top 11 celebrity car collections
VW Golf R: 0-100km/h
What demerit points count if you get booked in another state?
How much does an electric car actually cost?