Not at liberty
- Subaru Liberty
- Subaru Liberty 2005
- Subaru Liberty 2002
- Subaru Advice
- Subaru Liberty Reviews
- Subaru Wagon Range
Asked by Geoff Dunlop
THE cruise control in my 2002 Subaru Liberty has an annoying trait on the highway and descending certain gradients. It feels as if the brake is being tapped or the accelerator stabbed. I complained to the dealer during the warranty period on three occasions and was given three different answers. The first was that the cruise control cable to the accelerator was binding. The second was that it was fixed. The last was that it was caused by engine braking on long downhill runs, ``a normal characteristic for this model''. Do you know if this is a design fault? Would you agree that this is a normal characteristic, as the dealer says?
Answered by CarsGuide5 May 2005
WE PUT your questions to Subaru's technical people, who gave this response: ``This is a normal characteristic. It is of a minor nature and we have had only a handful of comments from owners of the thousands of this model that we have sold. The current model has enhancements to ensure only minor sensation of the opening and closing of the throttle when cruise control operates to maintain the set speed, particularly on downhill roads.'' Though the company claims to have had few complaints, it has moved to improve the cruise control on the current model, which should tell you they thought it wasn't up to scratch. Unfortunately, it seems you'll have to put up with it or get the newer model.
Other Subaru Liberty problems
- Factory vs. Aftermarket: which oil is better?
- Is it worth replacing the engine on a '09 Subaru Liberty?
- Welding marks at rear axels and wheel suspensions on 2016 Liberty
- Best car for a sales rep?
- Best replacement for a Liberty Wagon?
- Solutions for Subaru Liberty road noise?
- Is Subaru obliged to fix this oil issue?
- Best sporty car for around $10,000
Most viewed in Advice
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers