Best replacement for a Liberty Wagon?
- Mazda CX-5
- Subaru Outback
- Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Subaru Liberty
- Subaru Liberty 2008
- Mazda CX-5 2016
- Subaru Outback 2016
- Land Rover Discovery Sport 2016
- Land Rover Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Subaru Advice
- Mazda CX-5 Reviews
- Subaru Outback Reviews
- Land Rover Discovery Sport Reviews
- Subaru Liberty Reviews
- Land Rover SUV Range
- Mazda SUV Range
- Mazda Wagon Range
- Subaru SUV Range
- Subaru Wagon Range
- Land Rover
- Family Cars
- Prestige & Luxury Cars
Asked by Rod Hone
My wife and I are looking to upgrade our 2008 Subaru Liberty wagon. It has been faultless and is great to drive, but we need something with a bit more towing capacity. The new Subaru Outback diesel was our first choice, but we discovered that it is limited to 80 km/h when towing, presumably due to the CVT. This is a deal breaker. Then we considered the Mazda CX-5 diesel, but my wife said it was too boring! This got me thinking about the new Land Rover Discovery Sport. It looks great and suits our needs, but is considerably more expensive. Yes, it may be a prestige vehicle, but does that justify the price difference over the Mazda? Does it actually do anything significantly better?
Answered by CarsGuide7 Oct 2016
With 2000 kg towing capacity the Discovery Sport has the towing capacity you want, it's more than the CX-5, and it's not limited to 80 km/h like the Subaru is. That's a big plus. The only criticisms we've heard about are some niggling interior fit and finish issues, and one or two electrical gremlins. The Land Rover also has more ground clearance than the CX-5 and a traction control system better set up for actual off-road work.
Other Subaru Liberty problems
- Factory vs. Aftermarket: which oil is better?
- Is it worth replacing the engine on a '09 Subaru Liberty?
- Welding marks at rear axels and wheel suspensions on 2016 Liberty
- Best car for a sales rep?
- Solutions for Subaru Liberty road noise?
- Is Subaru obliged to fix this oil issue?
- Best sporty car for around $10,000
- Known issues with Outback?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?