Mitsubishi Triton 2000: Problems putting it in reverse
- Mitsubishi Triton
- Mitsubishi Triton 2000
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Triton Reviews
- Mitsubishi Commercial Range
- Mitsubishi Ute Range
Asked by Mark
I'm having trouble getting into reverse on my 2000 Mitsubishi Triton, manual box 2.4-litre petrol ute. The gearstick gets into the reverse guide-slot but sometimes won't go further into gear. When I can get into reverse it drives in reverse fine. I tried double clutching to get into gear but this doesn't help. I'm sure it's nothing to do with the clutch, pressure plate or thrust bearing. So what's happening in the box?
Answered by CarsGuide16 May 2020
There are three (generally speaking) things that can be causing this problem, Mark. You could have a problem with the clutch, the gear selectors or something internal in the gearbox itself. A worn or collapsed bearing or mangled gear cluster could cause this, but I’d expect other symptoms like horrendous noises and the refusal to select some gears at all, not just randomly. If you’re lucky, the cause could a simple mal-adjustment of the selector mechanism.
Meanwhile, you’ve told me you don’t think there’s anything wrong with the clutch but, to be honest, I’ve seen these same symptoms before on cars with worn out clutches. Sometimes the actuating fingers of the clutch break, other times there’s just too much wear for the clutch to function properly. Sometimes it’s as simple as a leak from the clutch’s hydraulic system or a stretched clutch cable. But either way, clutch problems can certainly cause this sort of grief.
Reverse can be hard to select because the clutch is not disengaging fully, so try this experiment: Turn the engine off and try to engage reverse. If it goes in easily every time and only baulks when the engine is running, that’s a classic case of a dying clutch.
Other Mitsubishi Triton problems
- Why does the speedo in my 2004 Mitsubishi Triton bounce up and down and make a weird noise?
- What can I do about the red paint on my 2016 Mitsubishi Triton fading?
- Are there known problems with 2015 Mitsubishi Triton's intercooler pipes/hoses?
- What is causing my Mitsubishi Triton GLX auto to shudder?
- Mitsubishi Triton 2016 or Isuzu D-Max 2015: Which one should I buy?
- Mitsubishi Triton 2008: Central locking issues
- Mitsubishi Triton 1999: What problems should I look out for?
- Mitsubishi Triton 2005: Driver floor overheating.
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cars that start with G
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cars that start with G