Mazda 323 brake pad/rotor issues
- Mazda 323
- Mazda 323 2003
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda 323 Reviews
- Mazda Hatchback Range
- Mazda Sedan Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by John Sexton
My wife recently had the 60,000 km service done on her 2003 Mazda 323 at the local Mazda dealer and they informed her she needed new front brake pads, which was done, and then they found that there was a shuddering in the vehicle when the brakes were applied and informed us they would have to get four new rotors as the present ones were perished. Shouldn't you machine the rotors when you install new brake pads, and should the rotors perish after only 52,000 km?
Answered by CarsGuide17 Feb 2011
Most mechanics would skim the rotors when changing pads, and at 52,000 km I would expect that's all you would need to do. On heavier cars I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the rotors were worn, but on a light car like that I would expect longer life. While I can only speculate on your case, I can say that some dealers simply prefer to replace parts rather than repair, or in your case, machine them. They can make more money out of supplying and fitting the new parts than be doing what an old time mechanic might do.
Other Mazda 323 problems
- How much should it cost to fix a 2000 Mazda 323 pick up issue?
- Should I scrap my '87 Mazda 323
- Does Mazda 323 use E10 fuel?
- Mazda 323 SP20 acceleration problem
- Replacing Astina with Mazda 2?
- 323 ignition coils
- Ask Smithy Xtra Mazda Familiar Interplay transmission
- Frustrated with SP23 spare
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
12 best EVs available in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
When to use low range in your 4x4