Keep your cool
- Holden Jackaroo
- Holden Jackaroo 2004
- Holden Advice
- Holden Jackaroo Reviews
- Holden SUV Range
Asked by Frank Fox
WHEN I proposed towing a caravan with my automatic Jackaroo I wrote to Holden asking about supplementary oil cooling. They told me it wasn't necessary and I've since towed for 40,000km out of a total 185,000km with no problems. I was told by my mechanic that to fit an extra oil cooler could affect the operation of the engine computer. Is there a rule of thumb about when an extra transmission or engine oil cooler is advisable? Do manufacturers make these coolers?
Answered by CarsGuide20 Jul 2006
THERE really isn't a rule of thumb you can use to determine if it would be beneficial to fit an external oil cooler. It comes down to the weight of the trailer you're towing and the conditions in which you'll be towing it. If the trailer or caravan you're towing is close to the rated limit of the tow vehicle, and you're planning to tow it in hot or hilly conditions, then it would be wise to consider fitting a cooler. Carmakers won't tell you that. They won't admit their cooling is inadequate or borderline. Most carmakers develop their cooling systems to cover average use, and some will offer an uprated system for those wanting to use their vehicle in more arduous conditions.
Other Holden Jackaroo problems
- Why is my 2000 Holden Jackaroo's transmission overheating?
- Gears not working in 1992 Holden Jackaroo
- Holden Jackaroo 2000: What's causing the engine to rattle and blow smoke?
- Jackaroo gasket
- Turbo-diesel difficult to start
- Holden Jackaroo cooler
- Ask Smithy Xtra LPG for Holden Jackaroo
- Jackaroo fuel consumption
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers