Holden Commodore: Ignition coils failing
- Holden Commodore
- Holden Commodore 2013
- Holden Advice
- Holden Commodore Reviews
- Holden Wagon Range
Asked by Karen Pedler
I have had to replace a number of the ignition coils on my VZ Commodore wagon over the last six months. The “check power train” warning alert activates and the car starts running roughly. Six months ago coil four was replaced, and then replaced again the next day, then coil two a few months later. Now we have had coil one and four replaced again. The mechanics continue replacing them, but the cost is getting ridiculous. I wonder if there may be another issue that is causing the coils to malfunction. The last mechanic also replaced the spark plugs after ringing around to other mechanics. Any ideas you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by CarsGuide3 May 2013
It's not that unusual for a coil to fail, but to repeatedly fail like that is unusual and I would be looking for issues other than the coil. The most common issue is the crank angle sensor; it would be worth making sure all is well with that.
Other Holden Commodore problems
- What oil goes into a 1998 Holden Commodore?
- Why is my 2005 Holden Commodore overheating?
- Will a column-shift auto from a 1999 Holden Commodore ute fit into a 1996 model?
- What type of differential is fitted to the 2001 Holden Commodore?
- Holden Commodore 2010: Does this model suffer from the timing chain issue?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Holden Commodore 2002: Engine misfiring
- 3027 Holden Commodore: Fuel-injector failure.
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
When to use low range in your 4x4
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?