Holden Calais 2010: Is the engine worth replacing?
Asked by Andrea
My vehicle is a 2010 Holden Calais V VE Series 2 auto sedan (180,000km; full service history; owned since 30,000km) and it recently started making a tapping noise from the engine. A few mechanics have gone over my vehicle both electronically and manually and have been unable to diagnose the exact issue. At a guess, it’s a lifter problem. I am guessing my budget would determine your answer but would I get the mechanic to start with checking the lifters and so on until diagnosed, or buy a replacement engine?
Answered by CarsGuide17 Jul 2020
The bad news, Andrea, is that your car is probably worth between $8000 and $11,000 and maybe even less as a trade-in. Certainly that figure will be less if you don’t fix the engine problem, so that’s your starting point for working out the mathematics of your situation.
The one thing you haven’t told me is whether the car is a V8 or a six-cylinder car. If it’s a V8, I reckon you’d be spot on the money with a lifter, rocker or valve-spring problem as these engines were notorious for these components wearing out in roughly the mileage you’ve noted (sometimes less). The good news is that it’s not a terribly involved or costly (relatively) fix.
If, however, the car is a V6, then you might be in a bit deeper. These engines were even more notorious for stretching their timing chains and that can lead to all sorts of engine noises as well as a check-engine light illuminating on the dashboard. This is a bigger, more expensive fix, too, and since a V6 Calais will be worth less in the first place, it might be better to simply replace the whole engine. There’s also the very strong possibility that the cost of repairs will simply not stack up against the value of the car.
Other Holden Calais problems
- Holden Calais 2008: Does the timing belt need to be replaced?
- Do I need windscreen replacement coverage?
- Holden Calais 2014: What should I do about the safety recall on my car?
- Holden Calais 2019: Water leaking from exhaust
- My Holden Commodore keeps rattling
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures