Does the 2021 Subaru Outback Touring have any electronics issues?
Asked by Ian
Answered by CarsGuide29 Oct 2021
Subaru is firmly committed to the CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) concept as it gives a theoretical efficiency advantage over conventional transmissions. The catch is that to make the CVT feel less alien, many car-makers (including Subaru) engineer in electronic `ratios’ which kind of sidesteps those theoretical advantages.
It’s true that Subaru CVTs have experienced some reliability problems in the past, but in the case of the Outback, that appears to mainly affect vehicles built between 2010 and 2015. After that build date, things improved dramatically on the reliability and durability front, not to mention the driveability and comfort offered by the CVT. So we wouldn’t be too concerned about this aspect of the vehicle. Given that you’re buying a brand-new vehicle, you’ll get the full five-year/unlimited-kilometre warranty. And as proof of Subaru’s faith in the CVT concept, for the 2018 facelift of the Outback, the CVT got a seventh `ratio’ and a shorter-pitch chain to reduce cabin noise. So a brand-new Subaru CVT should represent the best the concept has ever been.
Other Subaru Outback problems
- What car should I buy to tow a trailer?
- 2010 Subaru Outback Diesel Problems
- How is water getting inside my 2009 Subaru Outback?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Subaru Outback 2001-2009: Any known issues with the head gasket?
- Subaru Outback 2019: CVT issues
- Subaru Outback 2010: What oil and coolant should I use?
- Subaru Outback: Replacement key cost
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia