How is water getting inside my 2009 Subaru Outback?
- Subaru Outback
- Subaru Advice
- Subaru Outback Reviews
- Subaru Wagon Range
- Family Cars
- Car Servicing
Asked by Jayne
Twice now in heavy rain our '09 Outback has taken in a significant amount of water, mainly collecting in rear passenger seat foot-wells. Any idea how it’s getting in? All windows were closed.
Answered by CarsGuide17 Sep 2020
Short of a broken or degraded window seal, check the door rubbers for signs of damage. Sometimes, it’s as simple as a small twig or even a thick blade of grass sticking to the rubber seals that will allow water in. However, there’s a more likely answer. If it was the front-seat foot-wells that were wet, I’d be blaming the air-conditioning vent that is supposed to drain the water - that builds up in the system - to under the car, but can sometimes lock or clog and run the water into the car.
So let me ask you a question: Does your car have a sunroof? If the answer is yes, that’s where I’d be looking. The sunroof, being set into the roof panel, naturally collects water when it rains. So, there are tubes that run from the sunroof, down the rear pillars of the car and vent to the outside just in front of the rear wheels. If these drain tubes block up, the water will run down the outside of them and into the rear foot-wells. Cleaning out the tubes will usually fix the problem.
Other Subaru Outback problems
- 2010 Subaru Outback Diesel Problems
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Subaru Outback 2001-2009: Any known issues with the head gasket?
- Subaru Outback 2019: CVT issues
- Subaru Outback 2010: What oil and coolant should I use?
- Subaru Outback: Replacement key cost
- Subaru Warranty
- Subaru Forester 2019: Would luggage be thrown forward in an accident?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?