2010 Subaru Outback Diesel Problems
Asked by Kate
Answered by CarsGuide11 Dec 2020
Subaru Outback diesel problems don’t seem to be too frequent or too common. And that’s probably in line with the brand’s overall reputation for reliable engineering.
Probably the biggest complaint from owners is that the engine lacks a little oomph from a standing start and suffers from what’s called turbo-lag; a delay between putting your foot down and the car responding. Even though Subaru claimed a torque peak of 350Nm at anywhere between 1800 and 2400rpm, in reality, the engine didn’t feel that strong down low, particularly just off idle. The other barrier to the success of the Outback diesel was that it could only be had with a six-speed manual transmission and no automatic option was offered in the model you’re talking about.
Beyond that, the usual diesel-engine caveats apply including the requirement to give the engine a decent run at highway speeds every few weeks at the very least. Without this, the engine’s particulate filter (which aims to clean up tailpipe emissions) will clog up and may need to be manually cleaned or even replaced, and that won’t be cheap.
Subaru engines have, over the decades, proven themselves to be tough customers on the one condition that they’re serviced absolutely by the book. Skipping scheduled services is a sure way to send a Subaru engine to an early grave. So make sure any car you’re considering has a full and complete service history with no evidence of missed oil changes. It’s also worth noting that this model was caught up in the Takata air-bag fiasco, so make sure this critical recall has been attended to.
Other Subaru Outback problems
- How is water getting inside my 2009 Subaru Outback?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Subaru Outback 2001-2009: Any known issues with the head gasket?
- Subaru Outback 2019: CVT issues
- Subaru Outback 2010: What oil and coolant should I use?
- Subaru Outback: Replacement key cost
- Subaru Warranty
- Subaru Forester 2019: Would luggage be thrown forward in an accident?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers