2010 Subaru Outback Diesel Problems
Asked by Kate
Answered by CarsGuide11 Dec 2020
Subaru Outback diesel problems don’t seem to be too frequent or too common. And that’s probably in line with the brand’s overall reputation for reliable engineering.
Probably the biggest complaint from owners is that the engine lacks a little oomph from a standing start and suffers from what’s called turbo-lag; a delay between putting your foot down and the car responding. Even though Subaru claimed a torque peak of 350Nm at anywhere between 1800 and 2400rpm, in reality, the engine didn’t feel that strong down low, particularly just off idle. The other barrier to the success of the Outback diesel was that it could only be had with a six-speed manual transmission and no automatic option was offered in the model you’re talking about.
Beyond that, the usual diesel-engine caveats apply including the requirement to give the engine a decent run at highway speeds every few weeks at the very least. Without this, the engine’s particulate filter (which aims to clean up tailpipe emissions) will clog up and may need to be manually cleaned or even replaced, and that won’t be cheap.
Subaru engines have, over the decades, proven themselves to be tough customers on the one condition that they’re serviced absolutely by the book. Skipping scheduled services is a sure way to send a Subaru engine to an early grave. So make sure any car you’re considering has a full and complete service history with no evidence of missed oil changes. It’s also worth noting that this model was caught up in the Takata air-bag fiasco, so make sure this critical recall has been attended to.
Other Subaru Outback problems
- Does the 2021 Subaru Outback Touring have any electronics issues?
- What car should I buy to tow a trailer?
- How is water getting inside my 2009 Subaru Outback?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Subaru Outback 2001-2009: Any known issues with the head gasket?
- Subaru Outback 2019: CVT issues
- Subaru Outback 2010: What oil and coolant should I use?
- Subaru Outback: Replacement key cost
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Five most expensive Rolls-Royce cars in the...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- The best seven-seat electric and hybrid cars...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Five most expensive Rolls-Royce cars in the world
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
The best seven-seat electric and hybrid cars in Australia