Mazda CX-7 2009: Engine failure
- Mazda CX-7
- Mazda CX-7 2009
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda CX-7 Reviews
- Mazda SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Adam Reed
Our 2009 Mazda CX7 MZR-CD has just had a major engine failure, just before its 120,000 km service. It has a full service history and was full of oil when it failed. I'm lead to believe that this isn't uncommon with these motors. Have you had heard of these engines having problems? We have the dealer extended warranty up to $3000, but the balance on a secondhand motor for replacement is $3000 on top of that. As the engine isn't old and has been looked after in accordance to Mazda's service regime I feel we should pursue Mazda Australia to pay for the replacement. Even if we replace the engine, how long would it last? Should it have oil changes more often than the service book says, as the dipstick has an 'X' mark above the full oil mark for when the oil gets to much diesel dilution! I'm not impressed that an engine can fail when everything has been done by the book.
Answered by CarsGuide28 Apr 2017
There have been a number of reports of engines failing because the oil has become contaminated with diesel fuel, so you're not alone there. I would urge you to request a goodwill payment from Mazda for at least part of the cost of a new engine. As your car is eight years old and has done 120,000 km you're unlikely to get a new engine from Mazda, but I think you have a good claim for a part payment. Once the engine is replaced I would suggest you change the oil more regularly than is recommended by Mazda.
Other Mazda CX-7 problems
- Mazda CX7 2010: Transfer case leaking
- Toyota Kluger: What SUV would have less cabin noise?
- Mazda CX-7 2009: How reliable is it?
- Mazda CX-7 2007: When replacing a turbo is the transmission touched at all?
- Nearly new SUVs suitable for families?
- Best used 7 seat SUVs under $30k?
- Mazda CX-7 2007: Unidentified warning light?
- Mazda CX-7 2010: Engine warning lights
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cheapest electric car in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you need to know about PHEVs in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures