What is wrong with the engine in my 2002 Honda Integra?
Asked by Carlos
I have a 2002 Honda Integra. I washed my engine with a pressure-washer and the next day it didn’t sound right and the engine speed kept going up and down while was parked. Also, there is now a burnt plastic smell after driving it around even just for a few minutes. Did I get something wet that is not supposed to be and can I fix this problem myself, or do I have to bring it to a mechanic and get it checked?
Answered by CarsGuide25 Jul 2020
Engines like the Honda four-cylinder have lots and lots of electronic sensors scattered around the engine bay to keep them running sweetly and efficiently. High-pressure water can definitely get into places it shouldn’t be and send things haywire. Next time you get the engine up to temperature, park the car somewhere dry and leave the bonnet open to see if whatever is wet will dry out naturally.
Of course, that’s dependent on the burning-plastic smell not being something that’s about to catch fire. In fact, this is the more serious problem as a small piece of trim or soundproofing could also have moved during the high-pressure washing process and could be touching a hot component such as the exhaust system. If that’s the case, it can easily catch fire with predictable results. I would definitely be having somebody who knows what they’re looking at take a look to identify the source of the smell. Keep a fire extinguisher handy while you’re doing so, too.
Other Holden problems
- What is causing the brake pedal to sink slowly to the floor in my 2016 Holden Colorado?
- What causes a 2004 Holden Vectra to surge while idling?
- Will a column-shift auto from a 1999 Holden Commodore ute fit into a 1996 model?
- What caused my 2013 Holden Captiva to lose power and stop?
- What is causing a front end knock in my 2020 Holden Colorado ZL1?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures