What is the best reliable ute?
Asked by Nick
I am moving to a remote part of Tassie and need a reliable ute. Looking at a dual-cab Navara D40 2014 for $14,000. Great price, but it’s got 230,000kms on the clock which is concerning me. It’s been a work ute and has been serviced every 10,000kms, with no major repairs or replacements yet. Thoughts on this one?
Answered by CarsGuide30 Aug 2021
Given the kilometres showing on the car in question, that price-tag is about right, rather than any kind of exceptional bargain. Beyond that, the D40 Navara is not generally regarded as a magnificent long-term prospect and many in the trade reckon about 160,000km is the limit for reliable service going forward. At least the one you’re looking at has a full service record, so that’s a start, but frankly, there are better options out there that represent greater value for money as well as longer shelf-life.
The D40 in turbo-diesel form was susceptible to timing chain problems at about the 80,000km mark. Check the service record to see if a new chain was fitted around this mileage. Even if it has, mechanics reckon the chain needs to be inspected every 40,000km thereafter to prevent catastrophic failure when you least expect it. The D40 also suffered from injector problems, EGR coolers that could fail and ruin the engine, automatic transmission coolers that could destroy the gearbox and lots of other problems right through to cracks developing in the vehicle’s body. The fact that this is an ex-work truck won’t help those problems one little bit as it’s probably already had a pretty hard life, servicing notwithstanding. The broad advice for somebody looking for reliability first and foremost would be to cast your net wider.
Other Nissan Navara problems
- What can I do if the steering wheel and gear knob are peeling in my 2018 Nissan Navara?
- Does the wrong battery cause problems with the starter motor in the Nissan Navara 2013?
- Does a 2011 Nissan Navara Turbo have a timing belt or chain warning light?
- How do I take my Nissan Navara out of limp mode?
- How much will it cost to replace the clutch in my 2008 Nissan Navara?
- Does the 2010 Nissan Navara have a timing belt or chain?
- Why has my 2011 Nissan Navara lost most of its engine power?
- Which 4x4 Dual Cab ute should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers