What do you recommend for towing a horse trailer and large draft-horse?
- Ford Ranger
- Isuzu D-Max
- Toyota Fortuner
- Volkswagen Amarok
- Volkswagen Touareg
- Isuzu MU-X
- Ford Ranger 2007
- Ford Advice
- Isuzu Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Volkswagen Advice
- Ford Ranger Reviews
- Isuzu D-Max Reviews
- Toyota Fortuner Reviews
- Volkswagen Amarok Reviews
- Volkswagen Touareg Reviews
- Isuzu MU-X Reviews
- Ford SUV Range
- Ford Ute Range
- Isuzu SUV Range
- Isuzu Ute Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Toyota Ute Range
- Volkswagen SUV Range
- Volkswagen Ute Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Lily
You guys have been great with advice - but I have some specific questions that I am hoping I can get a steer on. I need to be able to haul a horse trailer and large draft-horse - this means 3000kg braked towing minimum. But since whatever I buy has to be my everyday car, it would need to be able to negotiate city driving (Canberra) be parked easily and not be too thirsty. I am not a big woman so I need something that won't kill me to steer and can get in and out of easily.
My ideal would be 3.5-tonne towing capacity with all the whiz-bang towing-assist kit, park-assist in normal non-towing urban conditions and proximity tech. Comfortable for those long trips and good info and audio tech. I don't need seats for kids/family so would be happy with a four-door ute. That said are there any out there that have a powered/hydraulic tailgate?
The front runners at the moment from what I can see are the Ford Rangers (but still confused about the variants and a bit WHOA on the size); Isuzu D-Max and M-UX (but have heard not great things about cabin noise and steering and tech); VW Amarok and Touareg but upfront and servicing costs are bit yikes. Maybe Toyota Fortuner but not sure.
Any advice would be very, very welcome!
Answered by CarsGuide15 Feb 2020
None of the vehicles you’ve listed are exactly low-maintenance units. They all have complex all-wheel-drive drivelines (which will be appreciated when towing a heavy trailer across a wet showground) and they use the latest common-rail diesel technology which is fairly intolerant of poor servicing.
As for a power tailgate on a ute, I’m afraid you’re out of luck. But some of the wagon versions of these vehicles can be optioned with powered tailgates. The catch there is that these vehicles use coil sprung rear axles (as opposed to the leaf-sprung ute versions) so they’re not as adept at towing. The Toyota Fortuner, for instance can’t match the HiLux’s 3.5-tonne limit and makes do with 2800kg; not enough for your requirements. The Ford Everest (based on the Ranger) is a little better at 3000kg, but still trails the Ranger’s 3500kg towing capacity and is right on your self-imposed minimum.
Other Ford Ranger problems
- Can an oil cooler keep the transmission cool in my 2014 Ford Ranger?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
- Why does my 2015 Ford Ranger cut out for no reason?
- What is causing the clutch to get stuck in my 2013 Ford Ranger?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Why does the fifth gear pop out of my 2007 Ford Ranger when I drive on the highway?
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
- Is the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or VW Amarok best for towing a 2.8 tonne caravan?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?