VW keeps leaking coolant
- Volkswagen Polo
- Volkswagen Polo 2002
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Polo Reviews
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
Asked by Jasmine
Recently my 2002 VW had some coolant leak issues, which were repaired, but since then I've had to top up the coolant twice in four weeks. Given its age and the possibility of a more serious problem I'm looking to replace it. I'd like to stick with another Golf, or even a Polo, but how do you pick a "safe" one given VW's recent track record? Are some years better or worse? Can you
suggest an alternative option?
Answered by CarsGuide26 Feb 2016
If you've had to top-up the coolant twice in four weeks I'd suggest that your problems haven't been fixed and that you should take the car back to whoever supposedly repaired it and have them do the job properly. As for a "safe" option I can't really recommend one, except to say that I would avoid the DSG gearbox. The only "safe" option is to buy another brand, and in that case I would suggest a Japanese brand, such as Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, all of which have a good record of reliability.
Other Volkswagen Polo problems
- What can I do about the faulty AEB on my 2018 Volkswagen Polo?
- How is oil mixing with coolant in my 2015 Volkswagen Polo?
- My new used 2010 Volkswagen Polo already has problems, what should I do?
- Volkswagen Polo 2016: Why is my car reversing when in drive?
- What is the durability and re-sale value of a used car?
- Volkswagen Polo 2012: Car won't reverse
- Volkswagen Polo 2012: Gearbox failed
- Volkswagen Polo 2014: losing water
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Stamp duty for cars explained
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Stamp duty for cars explained