Volkswagen Golf 2013: A reliable replacement car
- Volkswagen Golf
- Volkswagen Golf 2013
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Golf Reviews
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
- Buying tips
- Buyers Guide
Asked by Ian
I currently have a 2013 Golf TSi and I am looking at trading it in for something that is reliable, cheap to service and with cheap parts. The Golf has done 86,000km and the turbo has just died. It's costing me $3000 to replace and has broken down on me before and I'm fed up with it. I am looking at Toyota Corolla, Hyundai i30, Kia Cerato. Which car would be best?
Answered by CarsGuide17 Jul 2020
All the cars you’ve nominated would be good choices and will give you some peace of mind because they all use conventional technology. That is to say, none of them in their most affordable, basic forms uses a turbocharger and none of them have a complex, dual-clutch transmission that has been so troublesome for Volkswagen and plenty of other manufacturers, too. At least, that’s if you stay clear of the Cerato GT and the i30 diesel and N-Line, because those variants do have a dual-clutch transmission. The Corolla? A CVT transmission, no matter what variant you buy, but it’s one of the better ones out there.
Yours is not the only voice calling out for a simpler, more reliable motoring experience, Ian. But any of the three makes and models you’ve named should do the job for you with minimal hassle. Neither of them offers up too much in the way of excitement, but as solid, dependable designs, they take some beating.
Other Volkswagen Golf problems
- Should I buy a 2020 Volkswagen Polo?
- My 2009 Volkswagen Golf is becoming expensive to repair, should I sell it?
- What small all-wheel drive hatchback should I buy?
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- Volkswagen Golf 2016 or Hyundai i30 2018: Are they reliable?
- Volkswagen Golf 2019: Should I buy an Alltrack?
- Volkswagen Golf 2019: Does it need a 'Supplemental Service'?
- Volkswagen Golf 2012: Repair costs
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Cars that start with E
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Cars that start with E
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures