Holden Commodore: Difficulty starting
- Holden Commodore
- Holden Commodore 2009
- Holden Advice
- Holden Commodore Reviews
- Holden Sedan Range
Asked by Victor
In the past couple of weeks my 2009 VE Commodore sedan has at times been hard to start. The starter motor turns over, but it takes several seconds for the motor to fire. Sometimes it 'times out' without starting and I then have to turn the start key again. It's fitted with factory dual-fuel, but it happens with the fuel switch turned to LPG or petrol, and can happen with the engine cold or hot. At the dealers suggestion, I left it with him for a couple of days and although it did happen to him a couple of times it was too intermittent for him to make any sense of it. Can you offer any suggestions as to its cause and what I can do about it? I presented the car to the dealer before the warranty expired, so would it be covered if the problem gets worse now that the warranty has run out?
Answered by CarsGuide13 Jul 2012
It's not related to the fuel system as the Impco system starts on petrol every time, whether you've got the system switched to petrol or LPG. It's more likely to be an engine sensor, such as the crank angle sensor, which is playing up intermittently. Check the connections and the sensor itself. As for the warranty, you did the right thing in reporting while the warranty was in effect, so you could have a claim against Holden once the cause of the problem is determined.
Other Holden Commodore problems
- What transmission box do I have in my 2007 Holden Commodore VE?
- What oil goes into a 1998 Holden Commodore?
- Why is my 2005 Holden Commodore overheating?
- Will a column-shift auto from a 1999 Holden Commodore ute fit into a 1996 model?
- What type of differential is fitted to the 2001 Holden Commodore?
- Holden Commodore 2010: Does this model suffer from the timing chain issue?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Holden Commodore 2002: Engine misfiring
Most viewed in Advice
- Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV battery manufacturers explained
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
12 best EVs available in Australia