Should I buy extended warranty?
Asked by John
Hi, I'd like to get some advice please. I'm looking to buy a 2013 Audi A5, 2.0-litre Quattro convertible. The car has travelled 40,500km. My concern is the automatic transmission on the car, which is the Audi seven-speed S-Tronic. As with the VW DSG transmission, I know there were a lot of issues with these transmissions. This is my concern with buying the car. Should I buy an extended warranty on the car?
Answered by CarsGuide16 Sep 2020
There’s good and bad news here, John. The transmission in the car you’re looking at is code-named DL501 and it’s a wet-clutch design. That’s distinct from some of the dry-clutch designs also used by the VW Group which were much more troublesome with a high rate of failures. That’s the good news.
The bad news is that even with its more durable wet-clutch design, the DL501 has also been known to suffer what appear to be inherent problems. Mainly, those relate to the mechatronic unit (more or less the transmission’s central nervous system) and premature wear in the clutch plates themselves.
The car you’re looking at has covered a very low distance, so it should be okay for now, but there’s no telling what dramas might crop up with years and kilometres. The problems will likely be worse if the car has not been serviced by the book, so check the service handbook for evidence of this. Even then, it’s a bit of a gamble.
But the only thing I’d stay further clear of than a DSG transmission would be an extended warranty from a car-yard. These are specifically written to exclude the things you’re most likely to need them for. Have a close look at the fine print and you might find that the sort of transmission problems you’d expect in this car will be specifically excluded.
Other Audi A5 problems
- When should the timing belt be replaced on a 2011 Audi A5?
- Audi A5 2016: Petrol or diesel?
- Is it costly servicing an Audi in Australia?
- A5 slow to accelerate
- Suitability of an A5 Sportback as a used buy?
- Why is my A5 using so much oil and what can I do about it?
- Is paint protection worthwhile?
- Seized engine repairs for A5
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- V8 Supercars engine specifications
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Audi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
V8 Supercars engine specifications