When should the timing belt be replaced on a 2011 Audi A5?
- Audi A5
- Audi A5 2011
- Audi Advice
- Audi A5 Reviews
- Audi Convertible Range
- Audi Coupe Range
- Audi Hatchback Range
- Car Servicing
- Small Cars
Asked by Luke
When would you recommend the timing belt be changed on a 2011 Audi A5?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Jan 2021
What you haven’t told me, Luke, is whether your car has a petrol four-cylinder engine or a V6 turbo-diesel. In any case, the petrol engine fitted to this series of A5 Audis used a timing chain, so it should never need replacing as it’s designed to last the life of the engine itself. That, however, has not been the experience of every owner of these cars, and timing-chain failures have been a hot topic of discussion on these four-cylinder turbocharged engines.
The V6 turbo-diesel, however, does use a toothed rubber timing belt, and that, along with its tensioners, does need to be changed at regular intervals. The trade reckons that interval should be every 120,000km or every five years, whichever comes first. That’s because rubber deteriorates with time as well as kilometres. The other piece of advice is to change your water pump while you have that part of the engine pulled apart. It’s a lot cheaper to do both jobs in one go than to open the engine a second time to replace the water pump.
Other Audi A5 problems
- Should I buy extended warranty?
- Audi A5 2016: Petrol or diesel?
- Is it costly servicing an Audi in Australia?
- A5 slow to accelerate
- Suitability of an A5 Sportback as a used buy?
- Why is my A5 using so much oil and what can I do about it?
- Is paint protection worthwhile?
- Seized engine repairs for A5
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Audi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?