Nissan X-Trail diesel problems
- Nissan X-TRAIL
- Nissan X-Trail 2008
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan X-TRAIL Reviews
- Nissan SUV Range
Asked by Fabian
Is the 2008 Nissan X-Trail turbo diesel considered a reliable car and are there any regularly occurring problems with the engine?
Answered by CarsGuide10 Mar 2021
The biggest complaint from owners of the earlier X-Trail turbo-diesel was a lack of low-down torque which gave the car a lazy feel when accelerating from rest. Nissan actually issued a Technical Service Bulletin (like a recall, but for a non-safety related issue) to reflash the turbo-diesel’s computer to increase boost pressure at low revs and give the car a livelier feel.
But like many modern turbo-diesels, the X-Trail has also been the victim of Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) problems where the engine never gets hot enough to cause the DPF to self-regenerate. The bottom line is that if you don’t drive the car at freeway speeds for at least 20 minutes once every few weeks, you could be setting the DPF up to fail. Replacing the DPF is a costly business, too, so make sure that your intended use for the vehicle fits with its mechanical requirements.
A diesel engine is also often more costly to own and maintain thanks to higher-cost, more frequent servicing that can easily offset the diesel’s lower fuel consumption compared with a petrol engine. Urban owners are drifting away from diesel powerplants and back to petrol engines, and that, frankly, makes a lot of sense.
Other Nissan X-TRAIL problems
- I have a 2016 Nissan X-Trail and wondering what causes a transmission to need replacing?
- Can I tow a 1478kg (ATM) caravan with my Nissan X-Trail 2017 4x4 2.5L Petrol Automatic?
- How much would it cost to convert my 2003 Nissan X-trail to electric?
- Why does my 2018 Nissan X-Trail make a rattle noise when I have my foot on the brake?
- What car should I buy to tow a trailer?
- How can I fix a faulty clock spring in a 2012 Nissan X-Trail?
- My 2002 Nissan X-Trail 2002 is struggling to change gears
- Does the Nissan X-Trail 2019 come in 1.6 diesel with an automatic gearbox?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?