Nissan X-Trail diesel problems
- Nissan X-Trail
- Nissan X-Trail 2008
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan X-Trail Reviews
- Nissan SUV Range
Asked by Fabian
Is the 2008 Nissan X-Trail turbo diesel considered a reliable car and are there any regularly occurring problems with the engine?
Answered by CarsGuide10 Mar 2021
The biggest complaint from owners of the earlier X-Trail turbo-diesel was a lack of low-down torque which gave the car a lazy feel when accelerating from rest. Nissan actually issued a Technical Service Bulletin (like a recall, but for a non-safety related issue) to reflash the turbo-diesel’s computer to increase boost pressure at low revs and give the car a livelier feel.
But like many modern turbo-diesels, the X-Trail has also been the victim of Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) problems where the engine never gets hot enough to cause the DPF to self-regenerate. The bottom line is that if you don’t drive the car at freeway speeds for at least 20 minutes once every few weeks, you could be setting the DPF up to fail. Replacing the DPF is a costly business, too, so make sure that your intended use for the vehicle fits with its mechanical requirements.
A diesel engine is also often more costly to own and maintain thanks to higher-cost, more frequent servicing that can easily offset the diesel’s lower fuel consumption compared with a petrol engine. Urban owners are drifting away from diesel powerplants and back to petrol engines, and that, frankly, makes a lot of sense.
Other Nissan X-Trail problems
- How can I fix a faulty clock spring in a 2012 Nissan X-Trail?
- My 2002 Nissan X-Trail 2002 is struggling to change gears
- Does the Nissan X-Trail 2019 come in 1.6 diesel with an automatic gearbox?
- Why is my 2012 Nissan X-Trail using a lot of oil?
- What caused my 2006 Nissan X-Trail to overheat and lose compression?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What model X-Trail or Forester should I buy for less than $19000
- Why do I have to pump the clutch in my 2003 Nissan X-Trail?
Most viewed in Advice
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers