How to reduce the fuel consumption in my Skoda Superb Scout?
Asked by Dan
I have a Skoda Superb Scout and the fuel consumption is nearly double the stated consumption figure of 7.3L. The lowest I've managed to get it to is 12.1 litres per 100km but it usually hovers around 12.4 litres! I live seven kilometres from work, no stop-start traffic and drive mostly in economy mode.
My question is, how can I find out if the consumption is abnormally high because of an issue? I want to take it back to Skoda but the VW group has a history of fudging its figures (Dieselgate) and I'm worried they'll reduce the power just to lower the fuel use.
Answered by CarsGuide13 Apr 2021
While I’ll admit that an average fuel consumption figure of 12.4 litres per 100km is high for your car, there are a few things to consider here. By driving just seven kilometres each way to work and back, you’re probably running for half your driving time with an engine that is still warming up. Cold engines use a richer mixture and that means more fuel. Cold starts are a real problem for fuel consumption, and you appear to be driving on a cold engine for a high percentage of your daily run.
The other consideration is your average speed. You say that there’s no stop-start traffic conditions, but if you drive at urban speeds all the way to work, then you need to be looking at the official urban fuel consumption number which is 9.0 litres per 100km (the 7.3 litres figure you’ve quoted is for a mix of urban and highway running).
Even so, 9 litres per 100km is a lot less than 12.4 litres, so maybe there is something going on. Despite your reservations about Skoda’s politics, the best thing to do is to have the car electronically interrogated to see what, if any, fault codes appear. Only then can you really know what’s going on. Are you using the recommended 95-RON fuel? The wrong octane rating (RON) can have an effect on fuel consumption, as can a heavy right foot.
Other Skoda Superb problems
- Skoda Superb: Cruise control failure
- What car is big enough to sleep in the back of?
- What's a good, medium-sized sedan for touring?
- Best replacement for a Calais
- Lodging a goodwill claim
- Good choice SUV for travelling
- Good mid-size family car?
- Good options for station wagons
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Skoda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars