Toyota HiLux 2008: I've been sold a lemon
- Toyota HiLux
- Toyota HiLux 2008
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota HiLux Reviews
- Toyota Ute Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Stephen
My 2008 Toyota Hilux SR5 diesel is a lemon, it's had three clutches, an alternator, a water pump, a turbo, fifth gear has been replaced and the four-wheel drive selector has just gone, and Toyota doesn?t want to know about it now because it is just out of warranty. The Toyota dealer I bought it from said I should get rid of it, but that?s easy for him to say. I?m still paying for it. What should I do?
Answered by CarsGuide15 Feb 2011
It does sound like you have copped a lemon. Go back to the dealer and ask for a meeting to discuss your problems, and ask for a Toyota rep to inspect your car and give you a report on what they are going to do about it. The good thing is that the fact that the warranty has expired doesn’t mean a thing if the vehicle Toyota has sold you is unfit for purpose, and it sounds on the surface as if that is the case. If the approach to Toyota through the dealer fails to arrive a satisfactory resolution consider approaching the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission on 1300 302 502 and enlisting their help.
Under the Australian Consumer Law introduced in January 2011, a consumer can request a refund or a replacement for persistent problems if the car doesn’t do the job it’s supposed to do.
Other Toyota HiLux problems
- Datsun 720 ute - Were they better than the HiLux?
- Which 4x4 Dual Cab ute should I buy?
- Will Toyota make a 3.3 litre diesel V6 engine in the Fortuner?
- When is the 2021 Toyota HiLux SR5+ being released?
- What is the fuel consumption for a 1999 Toyota Hilux?
- What dual cab 4x4 ute should I buy?
- Can the Toyota HiLux be flat-towed?
- X-Trail or HiLux?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers