Which five-speed gearbox models are compatible with my Toyota Hilux's 2Y engine?
Asked by Natan
Answered by CarsGuide22 Sep 2021
Swapping a five-speed gearbox into an older car or ute is a pretty well-trodden path, partly because it makes all sorts of sense. While older four-speed gearboxes generally have a fourth gear ratio of 1:1, a five-speed is will have an overdriven fifth gear which makes for more relaxed highway-speed driving and, potentially, a fuel saving as the engine won’t be working as hard or turning as fast.
The Toyota 2Y engine is, I believe, a more or less bolt-up fitment to the 2Y engine in your vehicle. Commonly found in early, rear-drive Celicas, the W50 is definitely strong enough for your application since the 2Y engine in your car probably struggles to make its full 58kW these days. The only catch you might run into is that if you’re running bigger wheels and tyres or your regularly tow a trailer or the vehicle is way down on power, the engine might struggle to pull that taller gearing. At best you might find yourself shifting back and forth pretty regularly in hilly country or when encountering a headwind. But if you do go through with the swap, you’ll find that the W50 has a fifth gear ratio of 0.853:1 which should reduce your engine speed for the same road speed by about 15 per cent.
Beyond the Toyota E50 gearbox, there’s really no limit to what you can fit if you have the time and money to have the engineering sorted out. That said, anything beefier than the W50 is almost certainly overkill.
Other Toyota HiLux problems
- What's the better buy, Pajero Sport Exceed or Toyota Fortuner Crusade?
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- Has Toyota rectified the diesel DPF issues for their 2021 vehicles?
- Datsun 720 ute - Were they better than the HiLux?
- Which 4x4 Dual Cab ute should I buy?
- Will Toyota make a 3.3 litre diesel V6 engine in the Fortuner?
- When is the 2021 Toyota HiLux SR5+ being released?
- What is the fuel consumption for a 1999 Toyota Hilux?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- Best vehicles for towing a caravan
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
Best vehicles for towing a caravan
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia