Clutch of problems
- Hyundai Sonata
- Hyundai Sonata 2003
- Hyundai Advice
- Hyundai Sonata Reviews
- Hyundai Sedan Range
Asked by Phil Crawley
MY 2003 Hyundai Sonata has 40,000km on the clock and a warranty until December 2008. Recently my clutch has started to slip intermittently. My Hyundai dealer says replacing the clutch will not be covered by warranty because it is probably a driving issue. I take offence at this because I have driven a manual car for 30 years. I drove my last Hyundai Sonata for 100,000km without mechanical problems. The car has been serviced according to the owner's handbook. How can I prove this is not a driver's problem?
Answered by CarsGuide17 Feb 2006
MY Hyundai contact tells me he has not experienced the clutch problem you have and says you would have to be riding the clutch hard to get that sort of wear. The clutch is generally regarded as a consumable item by most carmakers, but that presumes it wears out in a normal fashion. In your case, he reckons you should be pressing for it to be covered under warranty, and I agree. Unfortunately, there's not much choice but to replace it, so I would suggest you make it clear to the dealer and to Hyundai that you believe it is a warranty issue before it gets pulled apart, then be prepared to argue your case.
Other Hyundai Sonata problems
- Hyundai Sonata 2015: Reversing camera out of alignment
- Should I buy a Hyundai Sonata?
- Bull bar for a Sonata?
- Tapping noise in Sonata
- Hyundai Sonata central locking
- Hyundai Sonata ABS and ESP lights
- Hyundai Sonata CRDi fuel system
- Hyundai Sonata fan belt
Most viewed in Advice
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers
12 best EVs available in Australia