Holden Barina 2001: Brake pads and discs need replacing?
- Holden Barina
- Holden Barina 2001
- Holden Advice
- Holden Barina Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Jon Dowling
I own a 2001 XC Holden Barina that has done 77,000km, is still under warranty, and has been serviced by Holden dealers. At the 75,000km service it was noted the front disc pads needed replacing, and when the job was completed the dealer noted the disc rotors were at the minimum thickness and should be replaced. Is it acceptable that every time the disc pads need replacing, the rotors should be replaced as well? Given that most of my driving is on highways that require minimal braking, should the disc rotors wear out so quickly? Apparently, Holden considers rotors a replaceable item and the disc life is considered quite acceptable, but as they are $398 a pair, and genuine pads $140 plus labour, I think upwards of $600 per pad change rather outrageous.
Answered by CarsGuide16 Oct 2003
Have you noticed how well your car stops compared with those you were probably running around in 20 years or more ago? That stopping power has come courtesy of a number of improvements, including greater friction between the rotors and pads, and that has been achieved by softer pads and softer rotors. That unfortunately comes at a cost of increased brake wear in general and the need to replace rotors on a regular basis where we once almost never needed to.
Other Holden Barina problems
- Does my 2001 Holden Barina need a new clutch?
- Why does the engine light keep coming on in my 2010 Holden Barina?
- What is causing my 2006 Holden Barina to select a gear but not move?
- Why is the steering on my 2010 Holden Barina unstable?
- Holden Barina 2000: Why does my car randomly lose momentum?
- Holden Barina: Parts not stocked in Australia
- What is the correct tyre pressure for the Holden Barina 2010?
- Holden Barina 2011: Does this car have a timing chain or belt?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers