Browse over 9,000 car reviews
BMW 2002 model and spec guide
Common to all
- 1990cc engine inclines at 30 degrees.
- Cast iron block and Alloy head.
- 89mm x 80mm bore and stroke
- Single Overhead Cam - SOHC
Specifications by Models
- 70kW @ 5500 rpm, 116 ft lb @ 3500 rpm
- single Solex 40 carburettor.
- 171 kmp top speed
- 0-100 kph in 11 secs
- twin Solex 40 carburettors.
- 115 mph top speed
- 88kW @ 5800 rpm, 131 ft lb @ 4500 rpm
- Kugelfischer Fuel Injection.
- 184 kph top speed
- 0-100 kph in 9.3 secs
- KKK Turbocharger
- 209 mph top speed
- 0-100 kph in 7 secs
- The 2002 Turbo was unveiled at the 1973 Frankfurt auto show. Only 1672 cars were built and all were left hand drive.
- 2 Door Hardtop
- Touring - 2 door wagon/hatchback - 1971 to 1975
- Baur Cabriolet - removable centre roof panel and fold down canvas rear section.
- Convertible - full folding canvas hardtop - introduced in 1971
Distinguishing Features by Year
- plain trim, spartan interior
- chrome bumpers
- round taillights
- silver/black combination metal grille.
- two-piston front callipers and smaller rear drums approx first 200 cars.
- The rear axle uses the long-necked differential with sliding type universal joints
- one barrel Solex carb.
- 4-piston front callipers.
- A new style (short neck) rear axle was incorporated with regular style CV joints.
- interior trim mildly upgraded.
- The instruments and dash upgraded
- new cylinder head - E12 head, with a different combustion chamber shape
- bigger valves - 46mm
- Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection
- higher compression (9.0:1 vs. 8.5:1)
- larger intake valves (46 vs.44mm),
- KKK Turbocharger
- larger brakes,
- stronger suspension components including strengthened control arms, spindles and hubs.
- 1/2 inch wider wheels (5X13 vs 4 1/2X13).
- Slight changes in interior switch placement/trim.
- Taillights changed to rectangular shape
- front grill becomes black plastic
- interior is upgraded with new style upholstery
- Updated dash/instrument cluster with fake wood grain surround.
1975 - early 1976
- New seat design
- new cylinder head (the E21 2.0), to be used on the '77-'79 320i,
- Automatic transmissions where available on carburetted versions between 19'69 and 1975.
Most viewed in news
Avoiding the Holden Commodore trap! Ford must kick its Ranger and Everest over-reliance with coming crossovers, SUVs, 4x4s, trucks and electric cars | Opinion
2023 Ford Mustang not only keeps the V8 alive, but will up the ante to BMW M3, Audi RS5 and Mercedes-AMG C63-beating levels: Report
Right car, wrong time: How the Suzuki Kizashi highlights the decline of the family sedan and why the Toyota Camry rival failed
BYD Dolphin, Seal, Sea Lion and Frigate? What does the future of China's Tesla rival hold in Australia with Tesla Model 3, Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 challengers?
Can't wait for your next electric car? Abundant supply of 2023 Cupra Born incoming to take on best-selling Tesla Model 3
Have you driven a Ford lately? New Ranger arrives but it seems Australians are overlooking the rest of the Blue Oval's line-up | Opinion
Look out Toyota RAV4 Hybrid - Kia Sportage hybrid could be coming in the first half of 2023!
Winners and losers: Ford, MG and Isuzu fall as Kia, Hyundai and Toyota claw back ground in July new vehicle sales results
Toyota's dreams of toppling Tesla are now a nightmare: What went wrong with the bZ4X EV? | Opinion
Electric shock for 2023 Mitsubishi Triton! New ute to beat Ford Ranger and Toyota HiLux to electrified powertrain - reports