Browse over 9,000 car reviews
BMW 2002 model and spec guide
Common to all
- 1990cc engine inclines at 30 degrees.
- Cast iron block and Alloy head.
- 89mm x 80mm bore and stroke
- Single Overhead Cam - SOHC
Specifications by Models
- 70kW @ 5500 rpm, 116 ft lb @ 3500 rpm
- single Solex 40 carburettor.
- 171 kmp top speed
- 0-100 kph in 11 secs
- twin Solex 40 carburettors.
- 115 mph top speed
- 88kW @ 5800 rpm, 131 ft lb @ 4500 rpm
- Kugelfischer Fuel Injection.
- 184 kph top speed
- 0-100 kph in 9.3 secs
- KKK Turbocharger
- 209 mph top speed
- 0-100 kph in 7 secs
- The 2002 Turbo was unveiled at the 1973 Frankfurt auto show. Only 1672 cars were built and all were left hand drive.
- 2 Door Hardtop
- Touring - 2 door wagon/hatchback - 1971 to 1975
- Baur Cabriolet - removable centre roof panel and fold down canvas rear section.
- Convertible - full folding canvas hardtop - introduced in 1971
Distinguishing Features by Year
- plain trim, spartan interior
- chrome bumpers
- round taillights
- silver/black combination metal grille.
- two-piston front callipers and smaller rear drums approx first 200 cars.
- The rear axle uses the long-necked differential with sliding type universal joints
- one barrel Solex carb.
- 4-piston front callipers.
- A new style (short neck) rear axle was incorporated with regular style CV joints.
- interior trim mildly upgraded.
- The instruments and dash upgraded
- new cylinder head - E12 head, with a different combustion chamber shape
- bigger valves - 46mm
- Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection
- higher compression (9.0:1 vs. 8.5:1)
- larger intake valves (46 vs.44mm),
- KKK Turbocharger
- larger brakes,
- stronger suspension components including strengthened control arms, spindles and hubs.
- 1/2 inch wider wheels (5X13 vs 4 1/2X13).
- Slight changes in interior switch placement/trim.
- Taillights changed to rectangular shape
- front grill becomes black plastic
- interior is upgraded with new style upholstery
- Updated dash/instrument cluster with fake wood grain surround.
1975 - early 1976
- New seat design
- new cylinder head (the E21 2.0), to be used on the '77-'79 320i,
- Automatic transmissions where available on carburetted versions between 19'69 and 1975.