Will a column-shift auto from a 1999 Holden Commodore ute fit into a 1996 model?
- Holden Commodore
- Holden Ute
- Holden Advice
- Holden Commodore Reviews
- Holden Ute Reviews
- Holden Commercial Range
- Holden Ute Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Peter
Answered by CarsGuide18 Sep 2020
I can’t see why not, Peter. The 1996 and 1999 are more or less identical cars so there should be a high degree of interchangeability. While manual versions of the Commodore Ute form this era did, indeed, change gearbox types as the years progressed, the automatic version stuck with the same unit, so the gearbox and all its ancillary bits and pieces should be a straight swap.
And how good is a ute with a bench seat for three and a column-shift? Car makers should revisit this layout as it makes so much sense.
Other Holden Commodore problems
- Mazda 8 - Could Mazda build a Commodore or Statesman-sized sedan?
- What transmission box do I have in my 2007 Holden Commodore VE?
- What oil goes into a 1998 Holden Commodore?
- Why is my 2005 Holden Commodore overheating?
- What type of differential is fitted to the 2001 Holden Commodore?
- Holden Commodore 2010: Does this model suffer from the timing chain issue?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Holden Commodore 2002: Engine misfiring
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers