Why does the clock in my 2004 Holden Astra CD keep resetting?
- Holden Astra
- Holden Astra 2010
- Holden Advice
- Holden Astra Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
Asked by Jayne
Our 2004 Holden Astra CD clock keeps resetting to 00:00 whenever the vehicle is started. Once the vehicle is started and the clock is set to current time it maintains correct time until the car is turned off and restarted, when the clock resets again. Any idea what the issue could be?
Answered by CarsGuide26 Oct 2020
My first thought is that your car’s battery is on the way out. Are there any other symptoms of this (slow cranking etc)? Essentially, a battery that isn’t fully charged or is a bit wonky can start to shed its responsibilities one by one as it wears out. In this case, you might find that maintaining the clock’s memory/time isn’t programmed into the car as a major priority, so it switches that circuit off as a means of saving every available volt and ampere for actually starting the car (which is the point at which the maximum strain is placed on a battery).
Beyond that, you could have a dodgy ignition barrel that isn’t making all the necessary contacts when you insert and turn the key each time. I’ve heard of applying a liberal coating of acetone (or a solvent such as carby cleaner or WD40 should also work) and inserting the key a few times in succession. This is sometimes enough to clean the contacts and restore full functionality.
Other Holden Astra problems
- Why does my 2017 Holden Astra jerk when I put it in reverse?
- Why does my 2009 Holden Astra have trouble starting after sitting overnight?
- What oil should I use in my 2004 Honda Astra?
- Why does my 2020 Holden Astra have an oil leak in the transmission?
- Holden Astra GTC 2015: Why is my car coughing dark smoke?
- Holden Astra 2006: How can I fix a broken CD player in my car?
- Holden Astra 2003: Water pump and timing belt replacement
- Holden Astra: Remote key replacement
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
12 best EVs available in Australia
When to use low range in your 4x4
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?