Which small SUV should I buy to replace my Hyundai Tucson?
- Hyundai Tucson
- Kia Sportage
- Hyundai Kona
- Hyundai Venue
- Hyundai Advice
- Kia Advice
- Hyundai Tucson Reviews
- Kia Sportage Reviews
- Hyundai Kona Reviews
- Hyundai Venue Reviews
- Hyundai SUV Range
- Kia SUV Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Elizabeth
Answered by CarsGuide11 Nov 2020
Boy, the world is your oyster, Elizabeth. There are literally dozens of options when it comes to a compact SUV. If you’re otherwise happy with the Hyundai, then maybe look at the Hyundai Kona. It’s available as a turbo all-wheel-drive or as a non-turbo front-drive car (not to mention the Kona Electric, an all-electric version) and will come with Hyundai’s great factory warranty and reliability that you’ve already experienced with the Tucson. The other option would the equivalent from Hyundai’s sister company, Kia. The Kia Sportage an also be had as a turbo-diesel, although for normal suburban driving, a petrol is probably your best bet.
Then, you have all the various offerings from the Japanese makers as well as left-field entrants from MG, Fiat, Mini and more. But you need to be careful, because there isn’t always a whole lot of difference between the width of a compact SUV and a mid-sizer. Sure, there’s generally more space inside the bigger car, but it’s often the result of extra length and height rather than width. For instance, your Tucson (assuming it’s the current model) has a width of 1850mm while the Kona is just 50mm (about two inches) narrower. That may not be enough of a difference and you may need to go down two sizes to, say, a Hyundai Venue which is smaller and narrower again with a width of 1770mm.
Other Hyundai Tucson problems
- Hyundai Tucson Petrol vs Diesel
- Should the the timing seal/crankshaft seal of my new 2019 Hyundai Tucson need replacing at the first service?
- What trim level is my 2019 Hyundai Tucson?
- Hyundai Tucson 2015: Problems with multimedia screen
- Hyundai Tucson 2006: Engine stopping
- Hyundai Tucson 2015: Why am I having so many issues?
- Hyundai Tucson 2016: Does this model have dual-clutch transmission issues?
- Mazda CX-5 or Hyundai Tucson: Which has better fuel consumption?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?