Wheel Big Problem
- BMW X Models
- BMW X5
- BMW X Models 2007
- BMW X5 2007
- BMW Advice
- BMW X Models Reviews
- BMW X5 Reviews
- BMW SUV Range
- Prestige & Luxury Cars
Asked by Jim Henderson
I HAVE had a problem with the factory 20-inch rims on my 2007 BMW X5 cracking or going out of round. I have in the past nine years owned a few upmarket SUVs, including three X5s, a Discovery 3 and an ML Benz, all of which have been driven on the same roads and used for the same purpose with similar mileage. At the same time I have also owned several Porsche 911s, running 19-inch wheels, but I have only ever had a problem on the current X5. There has been a lot of discussion on the internet on whether the current rims and tyres supplied by BMW are fit for duty and many tales of cracking or performance failures. The X5 is an offroader, so surely this would mean BMW should at least supply durable wheels. BMW's response so far has been defensive and illogical. Are other readers having the same problem?
Answered by CarsGuide9 Oct 2009
YOURS is the first we have had here at carsGuide. When we asked BMW about your concerns we were told they have had a handful of complaints about the X5, not necessarily the 20-inch rims, and in virtually all cases they have found that the tyres were under-inflated, and believe this is the reason for the problem. BMW recommends all owners check tyre pressure on a regular basis, which they believe would alleviate any problems with the wheels cracking.
Other BMW X5 problems
- BMW X5 diesel problems
- Would swapping 20-inch wheels for 18-inch wheels affect the handling and safety of my BMW X5?
- BMW X5: Replacement key cost
- Land Rover Discovery 3 and BMW X5 2009: Maintenance costs
- BMW X5 2003: What is the market value?
- What would be the better SUV between the Volkswagen Touareg, BMW X5 and Toyota Prado?
- I think my dealership lied
- Reliable 7-seat SUVs for a family on a budget
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch...
- Cars that start with D
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to BMW
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch autos, what's the difference?
Cars that start with D