Ford Escape 2003: Brake disk rotor replacement?
Asked by Trevor Ploeg
I RECENTLY had my 2003 Ford Escape XLT serviced (50,000km) and was shocked when told by the dealer that my front disc brake rotors needed replacing because of wear. To put this into perspective, it was also time to replace the original brake pads and original front tyres. I can accept that at 50,000km it may be necessary to replace brake pads and front tyres, but brake rotors I cannot accept. The dealer told me I wasn't the first to be shocked by this. It is not covered by the warranty as rotors are considered a wear part. Any thoughts?
Answered by CarsGuide2 Dec 2005
UNFORTUNATELY brake rotors do wear out much faster than they once did. There was a time when brake drums or rotors were never replaced, but the brakes back then weren't very efficient. If you revisit old road tests, you'll find them littered with criticisms of the brakes. The improvement is caused by a range of things -- pad material, fluid and disc design and construction are some of them. But one of the consequences appears to be greater wear of rotors. You seem to accept that tyres wear out, but you're not prepared to accept that discs will wear out, even though it's inevitable.
Other Ford Escape problems
- How do I know if it's worth replacing the transmission in my 2008 Ford Escape?
- Should I buy a plug-in hybrid or an electric car?
- Ford Escape: replacement key cost
- Ford Escape 2006: Can sudden acceleration damage the alternator?
- Ford Escape 2018: Is it good in the snow?
- Changing oil on a Ford Escape
- How do you remove a radio from a Ford Escape?
- Ford Escape 2018: How do you open the hood?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cars that start with S
- Cars that start with D
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cars that start with K
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- Cars that start with E
- Cars that start with G
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cars that start with S
Cars that start with D
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cars that start with K
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
Cars that start with E
Cars that start with G