How do I know if it's worth replacing the transmission in my 2008 Ford Escape?
Asked by Chan
I have a 2008 Ford Escape, it requires a new transmission at 170,000km which will be $5000 to replace. Is it worth fixing or time for the wreckers?
Answered by CarsGuide9 Sep 2021
This is a bit of a perennial question when it comes to older second-hand cars that suddenly need expensive repairs. On current values, your Escape is probably worth almost exactly the same as the new transmission will cost you. The problem is that even if you do have the new transmission fitted, you won’t have doubled the value of the car. In fact, you’ll have done nothing for its resale value compared with any other working Escape. And right now, your Escape with a broken transmission is worth – roughly - $300 which is what a scrap merchant will pay for it to be crushed and turned into microwave ovens.
However, balancing all that is the question of, if you do scrap the car, how much will you need to spend to get into something that will be reliable and safe? And the answer to that is probably more than $5000. At this point, you also need to assess the condition of the rest of your car. At 170,000km on the clock, it could well be ready for maintenance in other expensive areas.
But assuming the rest of your car is in good condition and still works properly, here’s another option: Rather than a brand-new transmission, why not track down a good, second-hand unit from a vehicle recycler. Specialist recyclers have a range of components like these, and you should be able to find one that’s been tested and perhaps even carries a short warranty. It will still cost money to buy the transmission and have it fitted, but it shouldn’t be anything like $5000 and if it keeps your car on the road for another few years, then it’s recycling at its best. The greenest car is the one that’s already been built.
Other Ford Escape problems
- Should I buy a plug-in hybrid or an electric car?
- Ford Escape: replacement key cost
- Ford Escape 2006: Can sudden acceleration damage the alternator?
- Ford Escape 2018: Is it good in the snow?
- Changing oil on a Ford Escape
- How do you remove a radio from a Ford Escape?
- Ford Escape 2018: How do you open the hood?
- Ford Escape 2018: How to lift it and how much does it weigh?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Cheapest electric car in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia