Should I buy a plug-in hybrid or an electric car?
- Toyota RAV4
- Ford Escape
- Volkswagen Tiguan
- Ford Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Volkswagen Advice
- Toyota RAV4 Reviews
- Ford Escape Reviews
- Volkswagen Tiguan Reviews
- Ford SUV Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Volkswagen SUV Range
- Green Cars
Asked by Nico
We're going to have to move up to a medium SUV this year due to growing family. We really like the Tiguan 1.4T range but we’re a bit concerned about buying a car with just an internal combustion engine just on the cusp of the electric-vehicle revolution. We have solar panels on the roof and are only using a quarter of what we produce.
Answered by CarsGuide29 Feb 2020
The Ford Escape plug-in should be an interesting vehicle when it arrives, with 165kW of power and something like a 50km electric-only range. It will be here sometime this year, but the exact timing is still a trade secret.
The Toyota RAV4, meanwhile, isn’t a plug-in hybrid, so it can’t be recharged form your home solar panels (which the plug-in Escape could be). Frankly, if you’re making four times the power your household needs with your solar array, you’re in the pound seats for owning a plug-in hybrid which could put that excess electricity generation to very good use. That’s especially true if most of your driving is around town within a 20km radius or so of home-base.
That said, the new RAV4 Hybrid is gaining rave reviews as well as recording very sharp real-world fuel-economy figures. But a plug-in hybrid in a household with excess solar capacity could almost be run for free.
Other Toyota RAV4 problems
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- Can the hybrid Toyota RAV4 support a 70kg roof top tent?
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- What is the recommended height and weight of a driver for a 2010 Toyota RAV4?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia