Volkswagen Golf 2019: Does it need a 'Supplemental Service'?
- Volkswagen Golf
- Volkswagen Golf 2019
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Golf Reviews
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
- Car Servicing
- Hot hatches
Asked by Chris
We have a 2019 Volkswagen Golf R which has done 2300km and the dealership is recommending a 'Supplemental Service' be undertaken outside the usual five-year fixed price scheduling. This service is not highlighted or recommended in the service booklet or owner's manual and therefore would not appear necessary for the five-year warranty terms if not undertaken. What is your take on this?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Feb 2020
Volkswagen dealers will recommend this extra service (usually at the six-month mark) for any vehicle that operates in what’s termed `extreme’ conditions. Those conditions can include high ambient temperatures, dusty conditions and even short, stop-start running. But it’s only a recommendation and not having it done shouldn’t affect your warranty or service record.
Generally, it amounts to a change of fluids and an upload of any software changes (the latter you’re entitled to for free under warranty at your next scheduled service anyhow). A lot of owners reckon this is a money grab, while others think that a year between oil changes on a high-performance engine like the Golf R’s turbocharged unit is too long in the first place. In the end, it’s up to you to check the owner’s manual and decide for yourself whether the way you drive falls into the extreme category.
Other Volkswagen Golf problems
- Should I buy a 2020 Volkswagen Polo?
- My 2009 Volkswagen Golf is becoming expensive to repair, should I sell it?
- What small all-wheel drive hatchback should I buy?
- Volkswagen Golf 2013: A reliable replacement car
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- Volkswagen Golf 2016 or Hyundai i30 2018: Are they reliable?
- Volkswagen Golf 2019: Should I buy an Alltrack?
- Volkswagen Golf 2012: Repair costs
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cars that start with E
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cars that start with G
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cars that start with E
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cars that start with G
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing