Peugeot 308 2008: Problem with the ECU?
- Peugeot 308
- Peugeot 308 2008
- Peugeot Advice
- Peugeot 308 Reviews
- Peugeot Hatchback Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Matt Mickenbecker
I have a 2008 Peugeot 308 1.6L turbo automatic with 100,000km on the clock that stalled while driving at 50km/h and now will not start. It cranks normally but the ECU reads an engine speed of zero. It's as though the crank sensor was not registering, but this has been replaced. It has now been sitting at the Peugeot dealership for about two months and they have been unable to diagnose the problem. They've tried a number of things and think they've narrowed it down to the ECU or one of the other control modules, but cannot test these without a donor vehicle of similar VIN. To buy them new and have them coded to the vehicle would cost from $800-$1500 and even then it would not be a certainty to fix the problem. The dealership doesn't have any further suggestions on what to do. It seems that we're almost at the point of scrapping the car, but this seems ridiculous for a seven-year-old car that's only done 100,000km. Do you have any ideas on what we could try next or who we should tow the car to for help?
Answered by CarsGuide22 May 2015
You would have to think that the dealer is incompetent, and it doesn't say much about Peugeot's interest in fixing its cars. I would go direct to Peugeot and demand that they fix your car and give you a timetable for when the work will be done. I would also be considering taking action under consumer protection laws, because I think you have a case to argue that the car is unfit for purpose.
Other Peugeot 308 problems
- What is causing the oil warning light to come on in my 2009 Peugeot 308?
- What used car should I buy?
- Peugeot 308 2014: Is there any known problems with the timing chain on the 1.6 petrol turbo engine?
- Peugeot 308 2009: What battery does it need?
- How does the Peugeot 308 compare to the Mazda 3?
- Peugeot 308 2013: Is my Allure a lemon?
- Updating from a 308
- Peugeot 308 2011: Turbo problem?
Most viewed in Advice
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- The best used SUVs in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Peugeot
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
The best used SUVs in Australia