What is causing the oil warning light to come on in my 2009 Peugeot 308?
- Peugeot 308
- Peugeot Advice
- Peugeot 308 Reviews
- Peugeot Hatchback Range
- Car Servicing
- Small Cars
Asked by Jennifier
I just bought a 2009 Peugeot 308 second-hand from someone who said it had just had a big service, but no entry in the log books and no service sticker as a friend had allegedly done it. Today, the oil-warning light came on with triangular warning light so I stopped and put oil in. The triangular warning light is still popping up systematically on my dash and oil lamp light is still showing all the time.
Answered by CarsGuide18 Sep 2020
What you haven’t told me is whether the oil was actually low when the warning light first showed up on your dashboard (and before you topped up the oil). Perhaps the person who changed the oil didn’t add enough oil afterwards; perhaps they didn’t account for the extra half a litre required to fill the new oil filter. Even draining the oil to change it could, conceivably, cause the low-oil light to trigger, and if that’s the case, you need to re-set the light once you’re satisfied that the oil level is correct.
Re-setting this warning light varies from car to car, but an actual mechanic would probably know how to do this, so maybe a quick visit to a workshop to have the light re-set will be worth the small cost involved. By the way, I never rely on warning lights to tell me my engine oil is low. That’s what a car’s dipstick is for. Check it each week and you’ll never run the engine low on oil.
Other Peugeot 308 problems
- What used car should I buy?
- Is there any known problems with the timing chain on the 1.6 petrol turbo engine of a 2014 Peugeot 308?
- What battery does a 2009 Peugeot 308 need?
- How does the Peugeot 308 compare to the Mazda 3?
- Is my 308 Allure a lemon?
- Problem with 308 ECU?
- Updating from a 308
- 308 turbo problem?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Peugeot
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
When to use low range in your 4x4