Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: Backfired on LPG
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
- 7 seater
Asked by Richard Parsons
My 2004 Mitsubishi Pajero backfired on LPG and blew the air intake off and filter, and also damaged the catalytic converter and sent the computer into meltdown. The car is still not performing as it should with long shifts between second and third and between third and fourth. The idle is some times rough and hesitant. It has been back to gas converters and my mechanic, but with no improvement.
Answered by CarsGuide21 Jun 2011
Backfiring is usually caused by a problem with the ignition system, and usually fixed by replacing the spark plug leads. It happens when the LPG/air mix in the intake manifold is ignited by a random spark, and it often results in the air intake and filter being blown away. It is unusual to damage the catalytic converter and have the computer meltdown, and damage to the auto trans is unheard of. Check the ignition system and certainly replace the spark plug leads, and have the auto checked by a specialist.
Other Mitsubishi Pajero problems
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- What is causing my 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero to blow black smoke, jolt through gears and only go 60km/h?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002: Is 324,000kms too many?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010: What problems are there with this model?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: What can I claim from insurance?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2009: Why isn't the accelerator working?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2003: Why is the four-wheel drive symbol flashing?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know about the seven-time F1 drivers champion
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia