NM Pajero transmission light
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2000
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
Asked by Derek Griffiths
While driving my 2000 NM Pajero at 60 km/h the dashboard transmission light came on, which indicated that I was changing driving mode, when I was in fact driving in automatic mode and had not engaged the 4WD lever to any position. The flashing lights stayed on for about three minutes before switching to the centre differential lock flash. After about another three minutes these lights ceased to flash. My dealer told me "it was probably a sticking valve in the transmission and that it should rectify itself as the vehicle gets older". At that time it was less than two years old, and three years passed before it happened again. To my surprise the dealer I consulted told me the same thing as I'd previously been told. On another more recent occasion while driving on a freeway at 100 km/h both transmission lights began to flash and there was a crunching noise coming from the transmission. I immediately stopped, placed the car in neutral and allowed the car to idle for a minute before engaging the automatic transmission. Both lights ceased to flash and I continued on my journey. The vehicle is now over 13 years old with 220,000 km on it, and has only once been used in 4WD mode for about five minutes. Is this situation likely to occur more frequently, and is a "sticking valve" in the transmission an expensive fix?
Answered by CarsGuide21 Feb 2014
It's impossible to say that it will occur at increasing frequency, but the vehicle is now getting towards the end of its useful life when things are more likely to fail. I would consult a mechanic experienced in four-wheel drives and have them diagnose the problem for you.
Other Mitsubishi Pajero problems
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- What is causing my 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero to blow black smoke, jolt through gears and only go 60km/h?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002: Is 324,000kms too many?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010: What problems are there with this model?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: What can I claim from insurance?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2009: Why isn't the accelerator working?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2003: Why is the four-wheel drive symbol flashing?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers