Nissan Navara: Timing chain
- Nissan Navara
- Nissan Navara 2012
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan Navara Reviews
- Nissan Commercial Range
- Nissan Ute Range
Asked by Paul van de Loo
In a recent Carsguide you advised a reader that there was no need to replace the timing chains on D40 Nissan Navaras. Well, we have just got our back from the dealer after having both chains replaced after they got noisy. Ours is a diesel and has done 125,000km. Apparently it is an increasingly common problem, and some have not been so lucky and when the chain has jumped one tooth on the sprocket it has junked the engine. The dealer quoted us $2800 for the job, but when we complained Nissan agreed to pay the full cost, despite the car being well out of warranty. When I went to pick up the car they had another three queued up for the same job - and this is not a big dealership. Normally the lower one is the problem, stretching before finally breaking.
Answered by CarsGuide17 May 2012
We were asked if it was necessary to change the timing chain on a D40 Navara and we correctly advised the reader that it wasn't. There is no requirement to change the chain regularly as there is on engines with timing belts, but chains do wear and sometimes they loosen or even break as we reported in our used review of the D40 a few weeks ago. Of course, when that happens you must replace the chain. It's pretty easy to hear a chain when it's loose, there's usually a loud rattling noise from the front of the engine. If you hear such a noise best get it checked out before you do some serious damage to the engine internals.
Other Nissan Navara problems
- How do I take my Nissan Navara out of limp mode?
- How much will it cost to replace the clutch in my 2008 Nissan Navara?
- Does the 2010 Nissan Navara have a timing belt or chain?
- Why has my 2011 Nissan Navara lost most of its engine power?
- Which 4x4 Dual Cab ute should I buy?
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
- Nissan Navara 2010: Why is the engine light coming on?
- Nissan Navara 2019: Accelerator failure code
Most viewed in Advice
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia