Jeep Wrangler 2.8 Diesel Problems
Asked by Jane
Answered by CarsGuide11 Dec 2020
The 2.8-litre turbo-diesel engine fitted to the Jeep Wrangler (and some Cherokee models) in the earlier part of this century seems to be a decent proposition in terms of reliability and ability to go the distance. The engine is made in Italy by VM Motori, a diesel engine specialist that was owned by Jeep’s parent company, Fiat Chrysler (as it was then).
A large capacity four-cylinder engine, the basics seem well engineered and inherent problems are uncommon. As such, Jeep Wrangler 2.8 diesel problems are more likely to come from the engine’s ancillaries including the turbocharger unit, intercooler and some of the emissions-control equipment.
Turbochargers have a shelf life in pretty much any vehicle and, depending on how hard a life the vehicle has had, these can require replacement when the bearings begin to wear or the internal components become damaged by carbon deposits.
Intercoolers can fail over time, and the car’s emission controls, which see it consume a proportion of its own exhaust gases as well as its own crankcase fumes, can lead to black, sticky deposits in the intake system which can require manual cleaning.
The engine is also a common-rail design, so injector and fuel-pump life can be shorter than for older, conventional diesel-engine designs.
The key to any engine’s longevity, of course, is its service history. Even the best design will be a source of ongoing grief if a previous owner has not followed the correct servicing regime. A complete service history is an absolute must when buying any second-hand turbo-diesel.
Other Jeep Wrangler problems
- Jeep Wrangler: Replacement key cost
- How much can a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow
- How to lift a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?
- How long is a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?
- How many kms does a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited last?
- Are Jeep Wrangler Unlimited good and reliable cars?
- Which Jeep Wrangler Unlimited should I buy?
- Toyota Prado: Buying tips
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Jeep
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Cheapest electric car in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Plug-in hybrids explained: Everything you need to know about PHEVs in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures