Holden Barina 2003: Groaning gearbox
- Holden Barina
- Holden Barina 2003
- Holden Advice
- Holden Barina Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Doug
My 2003 Barina had the gearbox worked on under warranty in the middle of 2008. Last week it developed a groan from the gearbox under overdrive and when changing down. I checked the gearbox oil level and found it was down and it took nearly a litre to restore it to the full mark. It is now quieter, but still makes some noise, especially in reverse. The one Holden dealer has done all of the service work. Should I be concerned?
Answered by CarsGuide20 Apr 2010
Yes, it is worth checking. It could just be leaking and need new seals, but it really depends on the rate of the leak. If it’s leaking at a rapid rate you should be able to see oil on your driveway, if it’s not it might just be that you need to check it once a week and top it up as needed. If you are worried take it to your dealer, or an auto transmission specialist.
Other Holden Barina problems
- Does my 2001 Holden Barina need a new clutch?
- Why does the engine light keep coming on in my 2010 Holden Barina?
- What is causing my 2006 Holden Barina to select a gear but not move?
- Why is the steering on my 2010 Holden Barina unstable?
- Holden Barina 2000: Why does my car randomly lose momentum?
- Holden Barina: Parts not stocked in Australia
- What is the correct tyre pressure for the Holden Barina 2010?
- Holden Barina 2011: Does this car have a timing chain or belt?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Every electric car available in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Every electric car available in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top five biggest problems with electric cars
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing