Ford Escape 2007: Cracked alloy wheel
Asked by Patricia
ON SEPTEMBER 14 you ran a letter from David C. Jones, who had a cracked wheel on his Ford Escape XLT. I had the same problem with the same model. Because the XLT model has an alloy wheel as standard, I spoke to our local Ford dealer, who spoke to Ford and got a negative reply. The dealer suggested I speak to Ford public relations because he agreed this could be a safety problem. This I did, getting the same reply. I agree the vehicle is out of warranty, but what would happen if the wheel collapsed at speed while a family was aboard and it was proven the wheel caused the accident? The large carmakers spend millions of dollars on advertising to get us to buy their products, but it seems they are not prepared to stand behind them. It seems to me this could be a common problem with this model. Our wheel was undamaged yet the crack was quite apparent. The maker's attitude seems to be Band-Aid it and hope the problem goes away and nobody gets killed. I have changed my wheels to steels rims and would not consider another Ford.
Answered by CarsGuide11 Oct 2007
YOU really need to keep up the pressure on Ford. Don't take no for an answer.
Other Ford Escape problems
- How do I know if it's worth replacing the transmission in my 2008 Ford Escape?
- Should I buy a plug-in hybrid or an electric car?
- Ford Escape: replacement key cost
- Ford Escape 2006: Can sudden acceleration damage the alternator?
- Ford Escape 2018: Is it good in the snow?
- Changing oil on a Ford Escape
- How do you remove a radio from a Ford Escape?
- Ford Escape 2018: How do you open the hood?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers